02 August 2007

Sing it with me

Like I said in an earlier post, I have added Playlist to the blog. Currently there are six songs on my playlist. Most people popping in here will only hear part of one. :) I'm prepared for that.

The player starts with Ave Maria by Schubert. This is a very beautiful song and one I have only learned to enjoy within the past year or so. Schubert composed this when he was 28. He is reported to have written to his father and stepmother that people "wondered greatly at my piety, which I expressed in a hymn to the Holy Virgin and which, it appears, grips every soul and turns it to devotion."

The second song is Deeper Than the Holler by Randy Travis. A rather large leap between the two, I know. This is the first song my beloved sang to me. It is "our" song. 'Nuff said.

Third is El Shaddai by Amy Grant. This was a favorite of several of my friends in college and it became a favorite of mine.

Fourth is Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash. I like Johnny Cash. My father liked Johnny Cash. I grew up listening to Johnny Cash. I also grew up hearing stories of my father as a very young man playing guitar for a group called The Tobacco Tags -- don't bother googling it, I've tried and can't find anything. The Tobacco Tags supposedly did some back up work for The Carter Family from which came June Carter Cash.

Fifth is Wildwood Flower by The Carter Family. Reread the last two sentences of the previous paragraph. This song is also an inside joke for Dana.

Last but not least is Family Tree by Darryl Worley. I like this one a lot. It had been around for awhile but it finally sank into my brain when I was expecting William. It was playing in the background when I let Lawrence know I was expecting William. Is it any wonder he gives me the "Are you trying to tell me something" look when I play this song?

UPDATED: Every now and then I will rearrange the order of the songs and add a few more. I have also switched it so that you must click play instead of it starting automatically.

No comments: